Friday, August 22, 2008

Al Bowlly's in Heaven

"and I'm in limbo now."*

I fell in love to Matt to Bowlly's definitive version of Ray Noble's "The Very Thought of You," and hearing it just now made me cry like a little snotty nosed kid. I wonder if Bowlly would derive any comfort in knowing that his phrasing and his voice would still be loved by some (there's a Facebook group for him) over sixty-five years after that fatal parachute mine exploded outside his flat during the Blitz?

I am not in limbo, really. I was prescribed Paxil, an anti-depressant, for my sleeplessness and general anxiety. I decided against starting until after the holiday in South America. I've waited for years for this holiday and I just discovered the Carmenere grape. It would be cruel to have to abstain from wine and Pisco Sours because of the drug. I also reserve the right to never to go Paxil if I can figure out why my anxiety fuse is so short.

And now, a moment of awe for the Great Al Bowlly and Ray Noble:



*Thanks to the Richard Thompson song.

2 comments:

BookyG said...

When I was in college I took Paxil for depression & anxiety, but for me it was a disaster. It depressed my appitite, which could be seen as a good thing, but because I wasn't eating anything I was open to all sorts of viruses and got really sick. AND it didn't make me feel any better.

I ended up on Zoloft (for about a year), and I have fond memories of it. I don't think it would do much for me now, but then, it was very helpful.

Tomatohead said...

Ah, cheers for the review, Darlin'. At this point, I could use a little food eatin' suppression. I put on 5 lbs in 3 days last month because I knew I had to sit in a car with my Dad for a few hours. Bad news, Bear.
But then again, a kijillion other folks who have tried Paxil report gaining 20-40 lbs overnight....I'm hoping that taking up the bicycle will mean that I am too tired to give a rat's ass to get worked up about much.