Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Bitch runneth over

Tricia to Zach P. after he said "thanks" for hosting card night: I seem to have turned into a caustic bitch. I must apologize to Konrad. Glad you like Tricia v. 2.0 even if nobody else does.

I called Konrad a "pussy" at cards the other night. Folks thought it was funny because I want people to like me so badly that I tend not to say things like that. The sad thing is that my personality has changed a lot over the last half year. Chalk it up to the chain of events - the subpoena on Christmas Eve to testify against the beater next door, the 3+ months of sleeplessness from switching over to the insulin pump, the household bouts of gastroenteritis, the coming down from a great trip to New Zealand....I reckon stuff happens to most everyone. Why the hell can't I grow thicker skin and just get on with it?

Chatted w/ Matt about it, asked for a bit of help, but allowed myself to acknowledge the absolute rage I sometimes feel. I'm feeling better already.

There's no going back to the relentlessly cheerful and unrealistic Tricia v. 1.0. It is probably for the best.

6 comments:

Diane said...

It's only logical. You've got a lot on your plate and quite a bit of it isn't pleasant or easy to deal with.

I used to be much more optimistic when young, but I think it's commone that the longer you live the greater amount of unpleasant things you are likely to experience, and therfore the more cynical and pessimistic and impatient you may become.

Plus, the more physically run down you feel, the less bounce-back you have.

Tomatohead said...

Thank you Diane. To think we started our friendship when we were both young and optimistic ;)!

Matty has encouraged me to think about training for the RAGBRAI, a bike across Iowa. Lots of pork products feature, so it could be fun!

Anonymous said...

Hell, you're right on schedule!
Steve Carosello

Diane said...

Heh. It is funny to think what a sweet, non-sarcastic, Pollyanna of a young thing I once was.

No longer, no longer. People do change!

Anonymous said...

hee hee hee....

it no longer suits your needs!

SC

Tomatohead said...

When I first read, "Hell, you're right on schedule" I thought, "Oooh. [Destination] Hell. I'm right on schedule."

But then the voice of my mom kicked in, and I could hear her say, "I don't know, I used to be a nicer person. But I was just young and dumb then....."

Okay, here is to piss and vinegar and wisdom in old age.