Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A meme

My first. The woman formerly known as BFH (insert rude words :)) but now known as Rock Candy Mountain with Whiskey Streams tagged me and now I am to talk about Seven Things About Me That You Probably Didn't Know. So, here goes:

  • I was bulimic from 13ish to 15ish. The last puke had its own soundtrack as Blondie was on KROQ singing Accidents Never Happen (in a perfect world). As a result of my years of puking, I can puke on cue.
  • Even though I have swum with large reef sharks, I am still very, very afraid of sharks.
  • At 40, I am still afraid of the dark and of ghosts.
  • I have only recently learned to eat sushi and sashimi.
  • I was 28 before I chundered (Aussie slang for got sick from drinking - as in the Men at Work song Down Under, "where women glow and men chunder.").
  • I sincerely wish to come to some understanding of/with my dad before we leave this mortal coil. It may or may not happen.
  • I weep very easily.

5 comments:

BookyG said...

Did you not drink before 28, or did you just never get sick from it? I was 26 when I realized I could no longer drink 6 beers and be okay...Six now will get me to chunder.

Tomatohead said...

I just never drank enough until the night I turned 28. Folks, hearing that I never had the pleasure, bought me over 10 drinks that night. Ask Matty how Doc Martens handle puke.

Anonymous said...

Through others, I have come to the beginnings of a grasp on the Asian Old World Father/New World Daughter minefield. Having near-to-zero in my families who feel the same as I about politics and religion, a couple of concepts have helped me, having fully embraced that it is on Me to help Me:
-Areas for contention are obvious, and loaded. As time slips away, why choose to focus on them? Gently steer away, and avoid taking the bait. Success in this is not only empowering - and rightfully so - but builds your abilities to finesse in interpersonal situations nowhere near as baggage-ridden.
-Don't lose sight of the worst-case scenario i.e. "What if this exchange was our last, ever?". As statistics continue to convince that the sell-by date gets ever closer, protect YOU from spending therapy bucks better funneled toward downhill racing!
-I coined a nuclear option, best spoken inwardly and smugly, but - if you must, after someone offers their completely unsolicited opinion (with the added delight of being delivered loudly, in my family), a little rehearsal beforehand, and the following is quietly deadly: "I..I'm flattered that my approval of your opinions means so much to me but, frankly, I'm a little embarrassed that I'm afraid I can't return the favor."
Steve Carosello

Tomatohead said...

Advice to live by, Steve. Cheers.
Funnily enough, my Dad and I see eye to eye on politics (he even called to get his vote on the CA convoluted propositions right) and religion.

Nah, he just has a big personality that demands a lot of attention. There's a mediocre Tim Burton film out there called Big Fish and my Dad reminded me very much of the Albert Finney character. Of course, in the end, the Finney character was really that big, but....I suppose me coming to recognize my Dad's wonderful traits will take time.

Tomatohead said...

Heh. The nuclear option. Must practice it.