Friday, September 26, 2008

Back to reality

Back home and back to work - less of it, though. Matty was told right before the holiday that staff would be cut to 3/4 time. The civil engineering industry is dependent on construction and that industry has been in the pits for a while now.

We are assessing our budget and barring a nasty surprise, we'll be fine. Fewer fancy kegs, no Marianne to help us clean house twice a month, no going crazy when the Schwanns' man comes, and we'll be okay.

Some friends are facing big changes and we try to help when we can. Hanging out around our kitchen table is still free, thankfully.

The first presidential debate is tonight. I think most folks have decided. Sarah Palin frightens the crap out of me. Sure, I have many, many days where I have trouble stringing together or finding the right words, but I don't pretend that I could lead a nation. The fact that she isn't perceived as the hack that she is by seemingly half the country disheartens me.

We used to horrify our nonAmerican friends by saying that in light of the last 8 years, we could actually live under a McCain presidency if we had to. I eat my words now. A man married to a woman worth over $100 million who thinks the country is doing fine economically needs a rude wake up call.

In other news, Wyatt handled his flights from Buenos Aires to Washington DC to LA beautifully. We were helped by a half dose of dramamine for part of it. He was also a trooper when we starved him for 13 hours and brought him to Children's Hospital LA for a gastric emptying scan. They let him eat his radioactivated Cheerios and milk for 10 minutes, straightjacketed him from neck to hips, and strapped him to a board. He was strapped for 2 hours while pictures were taken of his stomach and didn't fuss for the first hour and a half. We were lucky because they wheeled a TV over to his gurney, and he watched some Disney pap for most of the test. The results came in the next day and his stomach was....normal! So, the GERD/acid reflux might just be a phase. Let's hope.

1 comment:

BookyG said...

I am embarrased to say, that I used to actually like McCain. But that was before I stopped believing in free trade, and before he voted against fair pay for women because "Women needed more training".