Friday, July 11, 2008

Skandar's Apricot Tree - from the Hunza to our backyard

The tree, which we always refer to as "she", was started from a pit smuggled back by Skandar some twenty years ago, when he was a mountain guide spending most of his year in the Hunza Valley in Pakistan.

We found out about the provenance of the tree just after we bought this house. We'd just spent the better part of the last two years not working, but traveling around like vagabonds. We spent five weeks traveling along the Karakorum Highway in Pakistan, wending our way through the Hunza Valley to Kashgar, China, and back. We lived on dried apricots, which are a staple on the Highway.

The Hunzakut apricot tree in our backyard was kismet, and it was what facilitated our friendship with Skandar.

Every now and then, when Skandar needs to get back to basics, he has a visit with his tree.

In the winter, when I pop out of the sauna, I stand under the tree and look at the inky night sky through its sturdy latticework. It's a peaceful image to me.

Well, this year, the spring conditions were just right and presto, we are inundated with fruit. While the fruit are still on the dry side, they are starting to get the right combination of tart and sweet. We have been making trays of sun dried fruit everyday. Lucky us.

8 comments:

BookyG said...

Tom is reading over my shoulder and wants to know if we can eat one. (Apricots are is diaretic favorite).

Tomatohead said...

Come on over, Red Rovers.
I ate 30 in a row and it was less frightening than eating 5 prunes.

Unknown said...

Hi Tomatohead,
I've been looking for viable Hunza apricot seeds to plant. I love Hunza apricots! The dried kind are intensely delicious. Can I trade you for something rare and wonderful?
Amy

Tomatohead said...

Greetings Amy, sorry, we´ve been away and won´t be back for a bit, but when we do get home )in about 2 weeks=, I´ll get some seeds ready.

Cheers,
tricia

Tomatohead said...

Amy, we're back. Let me know where I can send the pits.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tomatohead,

Is there any chance I could get some Hunza apricot seeds to plant from you? I've been searching everywhere, and I really want them!

I'll be happy to pay for any costs you incur in sending them (I live in Australia).

Thanks,

Anna

Tomatohead said...

We won't have any seeds for many months, but if you PM me schoberlew@yahoo.com, I can contact you later.

P.S Our tree will have some trait of the Hunza apricot, but not all traits - because it was started from a seed and not a graft.

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much. I'm sure that a tree grown from seed will still be really good with lots of health benefits. I'll just get in touch with you later then.

Thanks,

Anna