Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Pipe dreams and old people realities

I really wanted a yurt. There is that instant cred you get when you have one. But, upon looking at the pictures and videos of hippies and war reenactors and Burning Man burners using their yurts, I realized that there was no way in hell I could crawl around on my stomach like that. The sidewalls are only 2.5 feet high. I am old broad getting older by the minute. Plus, the detachable floors were a liability in our backyard, where Black Widow spiders the size of Shelob and "water bugs" hold court.


So, we went for the square, American Kodiak Canvas, which is a
knock off of the more expensive Springbow. It's stands 6'6" tall. All hail a dwelling for this granddaughter of homo erectus. Plus, I reckon I can comfortably house one or two touring Kiwi musicians in it if we ever fill up all the beds in the house.

If the Bay of Pigs (lager, Clamato, lime juice, spices) is the cocktail of the trailer, the Gin and Tonic will be the cocktail of the tent. Can't you see us holding court like a bunch of colonists under the awning?

3 comments:

BookyG said...

Tom and I were thinking about getting a yurt for Bridgeport, but we were going to get one you could stand up in. Then we were going to build a rustic little cabin so we had a bed when his folk's place got full, but now his dad really wants us to build a full-on house. We will never be able to afford it. How much was your tent?

Tomatohead said...

It was on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse ($50 off), so it was $385 out the door. It's supposed to withstand high winds and a bit of snow. Goes up in 10 min and comes down in 5 by myself. We'll have it at Schobercamp in early Aug in the Upper Buttermilk.

Cabelas has them for sub $400, too. The two stores are in Reno and SW is also in Rocklin. They retail for $429. I would go for the 4010 model with the four windows and gear lofts.

The $600 yurt I was looking at was 8' in the middle, 13' across, but the sidewalls were still only 2.5'.

Our cordwood sauna cost about $2,000 to build and the posts were donated. Then again, the heater was $400something and the 220 wiring (would have voided warranty if we wired it ourselves) was costly too.

How about a cheap trailer? I love mine.

We missed you at Meatfest. Welcome back.

BookyG said...

I have a new URL: www.rockcandymountainwithwhiskystreams.blogspot.com - long, but it is rock candy mountain with whisky streams.