Thursday, March 03, 2011

That unwieldy band I love so


So I didn't come home with any insight other than I will harden the fuck up. I was glad to go away and glad to come back. I got to spend a week acting like an adult, not just a mommy - I forgot what that was like. Mostly, I just people-watched from the comfort of Parisian buses. All hail the mighty weekly transit pass. All hail travel partners who are always up for a glass of wine/beer/aperitif.

I loved giving Jean Van Roy, the current brewer at Cantillon, a bottle of Russian River Temptation. I loved speaking to Jean-Pierre Van Roy, the former brewer, in my poor, poor French. Cantillon's Marmouche (elderflower) is a funky glory to behold. I loved meeting Mark O'Neill, who feels like a twin separated at birth. I get squishy when I think about those lovely men from St. Louis.

The Phoenix Foundation put on an amazing show. They still do the wall of sound that just wells up from nowhere. They still have the nuances that so endeared them when I saw them at Cuba Street in 2004. Tom, the new bassist from the Little Bushmen, is working out just fine. The band have grown so much in the 8 or so years I've been following them. I was proud to hear how the Phoenix Foundation still think fondly of their time in Bishop (they still remembered the name of the local Native American Paiute tribe!). I am just happy and grateful to have been along for the ride.

No comments: