Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The trouble with referendums

Friends have dropped by. Friday night found us eating around the kitchen table with Marsha, Reed, Devon, Annie, Joe Lane, Stephen, Erik, Dave McGee and Janet. The conversations were everywhere and for the most part, gave us a good laugh - something we all needed.

I did feel sad when we talked about the referendum in Maine that revoked the right for same-sex couples to marry. I was sadder when Stephen said, "I'm just tired of feeling bad all the time."

Civil rights cannot be legislated by referendum. The masses can't be trusted. Less than 40 years ago, my marriage would have been illegal in certain states and Babbo would have been a bastard. There was a Southern judge who recently refused to marry an African American man to a white woman on the grounds that "those" kind of marriages don't work and the children resulting from them are fucked up. Surprise Judge, statistically, that's usually the case no matter the color!

Really, this growing crusade against access to basic civil rights (recap: there is theoretically a separation of church and state, marriage licenses are issued by a representative of the state, all citizens should have equal access to a license) is turning me into an uppity old Chinese woman.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Cracker judges certainly know best, don't they? You mix black and white and you end up with nobody losers like, say, Halle Berry and Barack Obama, right? I guess I'm glad that this case was anomalous enough to be considered "news".
Another thing I've said many times:
Anybody who is receiving fewer services from their government should have their tax rates pro-rated accordingly!
Steve Carosello

Tomatohead said...

The New York Times a few months back discussed how gay couples, because they can't file joint returns and because they tend to be in upper income brackets, actually pay heaps more in taxes.

Gay friends wryly smile and say, "Oh you mean the fag tax? Yep."

Anonymous said...

I always think of your stuffing with wet bread and glass noodles and mushrooms at your Dad's place in Truckee every time Turkey Day rolls around.

Tomatohead said...

Mayumi?

Anonymous said...

You won't remember me. I'm yet another Asian chick from your long-ago past.

Tomatohead said...

Then, I would say Rachel Amparo, but did we ever spend a Thanksgiving at my dad's?

Anonymous said...

Poor sentence construction on my part.

We never had T-Day in Truckee, no. Just a winter stay (or 2) for skiing. You made this awesome stuffing that I've never been able to recreate for Thanksgiving.