Thursday, March 19, 2009

The pump is installed

We are having ups and downs in the process of trying to fine tune Babbo's insulin pump to administer the right doses throughout the day and night.

Matty and I are splitting the night shift. One of us takes the 12 am and the other, the 3 am blood glucose reading.

Three cheers for technology, though. We can dose the boy while he's running and playing and just being a kid. No more waving needles and vials in very public places. It's not like he or we were self-conscious about the needles and vials, but the discretion will allow him some degree of not being so "special" in the future. He looks like a wee baby doctor because the unit looks like a pager on his waistband. He digs the look.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nick Jonas wears an insulin pump and it doesn't seem to slow him down any.
Who knows what breakthroughs are teeing up for Wyatt's adulthood!
Steve Carosello

Tomatohead said...

Yes, I have faith that this was the right time in history for Babbo to get diabetes. By the time Babbo is a teenager, even, technology will help him get through the typical diabetic teen's rebellion w/ hopefully little long term damage to his health.

I just wish we all could get a bit more sleep. Having said that, it must be better for me personally because I have been prescribed any Paxil this go 'round. :)

Cheers for your friendship, as always, SC.

p.s. the drummer in Semisonic is diabetic, too. His book "So you think you wanna be a rock and roll star?" was a fun, fine read.

Anonymous said...

Here's a list of musicians who are diabetic:

http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowContent/inspiration_expert_advice/famous_people/musicians.html

You've no doubt been to this site already, but others might be interested. The list skews toward mostly older people, so perhaps Nick J's frankness about his condition is a good thing.
SC

Anonymous said...

hmmmm.....
I see that the link won't work, but interested parties can type in
http://www.dlife.com/
and surf around from there.....
SC

Tomatohead said...

Thanks for the link! I had not seen the site before.

Big whoops! I have NOT been prescribed an antidepressant for my sleeplessness and general craziness this time around. I think this time, the coping skills are kicking in much better. I do owe a lot of it to the perspective I got by going to NZ.