Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Houston, we have germination and other slow news day reports

The 2009 growing season is off! First sets of true leaves are coming in on the Japanese Black Trifele and the Grandeur (F1) tomatoes. The Pimientos de Padron peppers are up and will have their true leaves in about a week. The combination of the old propane stove coupled with the new wee grow light (a Christmas pressie from my mother in law) is pretty good for getting seedlings started.

My mother in law came down for an impromptu visit, and no tears were shed over the course of the weekend, no Xanax consumed. This was a pretty fine victory. I am heartened. She did ask if Matt and I were alcoholics and if we were going to church. I, to my own detriment, said something to the effect, "I REALLY love the idea of alcohol, but just can't drink very much of it." I am the daughter of an alcoholic, so I am aware of the devastation it can cause. But I am 40. You would think I would know by now if I was headed down that road. My one to two drinks a night, a few times a week does not convince me it's going to happen. She asked if we were going to church because there is a light up Jesus picture Matt found at the dump in our bathroom and a Jesus air freshener on our fridge.

I am obsessed with an Able Tasmans' song called "Angry Martyr" and cannot for the life of me figure out the first line or the bit sounds like a round. It's about a girl and god, near as I can tell.

Wyatt had a quick bout of gastroenteritis and it made his blood sugars plummet. That was a first. Viruses usually mean that they surge. Diabetes, the disease that keeps everyone on their toes.

Parties, pork products, and playdates. Life is full of those at the mo'. I made a bacon explosion because the blog link was sent to me by no less than two different fellas on the same day and because the article about it was the top story over at the New York Times. Two pounds of bacon and two pounds of Italian sausage, barbecue sauce, and heated smoke. Pictures to follow.

1 comment:

michelle p said...

Glad you survived the visit. I miss you all and your potlucks.